Apple and Banana Puree for Baby
This is a simple baby puree that is naturally sweet and is ideal to give to young babies. It’s easy to make and full of wholesome fruity goodness which your baby will just love.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 minutes
Makes: approximately 4 x150ml Baby Food Pouches or 6 smaller Food Pouch Minis
Best for: 4 months+
2 ½ cups of sweet apple peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
1 ½ cups of ripe banana, peeled and diced into small cubes
½ cup of water
fresh lemon juice (optional)
Peel and core the apple and cut into small cubes;
Peel the banana and cut into small pieces;
Use the steaming function on your steamer blender, steam for approximately 6 – 8 minutes or until soft;
Take out the basket(s) and remove the water (keep water to one side);
Place the soft apple and banana into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water, and a splash of the optional lemon juice, until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies, leave more coarse for older babies);
Portion into reusable baby food pouches;
Serve with a food pouch spoon!
Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamins B6, C and B2, contain calcium and iron, and no cholesterol or sodium. Apples are free of fat, sodium and cholesterol and a great source of dietry fibre. Both fruits are suitable to be used as a first solid food.
Babies are recommended to start on solids around 6 months and not before 4 months. Make sure your baby is showing signs they are ready for solids and that you introduce one food at a time initially, after that you are welcome to mix other fruits or veggies with this recipe!
To find out more about starting your baby out on solids safely read our articles here.
This is a Puree for Baby recipe to make bulk servings based on a 1 x full jug of our baby food maker, alter the quantity to suit your serving needs.
This process is detailed using our baby food processor and re-usable food pouches, you can of course alter to your preferred method for steaming/blending and storing (note: make sure you steam rather than boil to retain the nutrients!)
Step by step process:
1. Peel and core the apple and cut into small cubes;
2. Peel the banana and cut into small pieces;
3. Fill the water chamber with water, make sure you don’t go over the max (pre boiled water is recommended to decrease the need to descale)
4. Pour the cubes into the large basket, it won’t all fit so pour the rest into the smaller basket and place on top, twisting into place.
5. Use the steaming function on your steamer blender, steam for approximately 6-8 minutes or until tender;
6. Take out the basket(s) and remove the water (keep water to one side);
7. Place the soft apple and banana into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water, and a splash of the optional lemon juice, until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies, leave more coarse for older babies);
8. Portion into reusable baby food pouches;
9. Serve with a food pouch spoon!
Check out our other recipes here!
Want to try the products used in the recipe? Find them below:
Checkout our ‘Starting Solids section!
Here you will find all you need to know about starting your baby on solids, food safety and homemade baby food!
We hope you like this Pumpkin and Potato Puree for Baby! If you have doubts related to solids feeding, head to Victoria Government website and learn more!