Sweet Potato & Curry
Sweet potato is a fantastic first food for baby due to it’s nutritional value, natural sweetness and silky smooth texture.!
2.5 x cups sweet potato cut into small cubes
1 table spoon mild curry paste of your choice (optional)
1/2 cup water
- Peal and cut the potato into small cubes
- Use the steaming function to steam for 15 minutes/ until tender
- Take out the baskets and remove the water (keep to the side)
- Pour the potato back into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies)
- Portion into reusable food pouches
- Serve with a food pouch spoon!
Sweet potato is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and fiber. Helping to support things like babies immune system, eyes, cardiovascular function and support a promote regular bowel movements. They are also high in antioxidant beta-carotene which helps prevent certain cancers and kill free radicals. It also contains calcium, iron, Vitamin B, E and folate.
Smooth mashed potato is recommended by the Australian Department of Health as a first solid food for baby. Babies are recommended to start on solids around 6 months and not before 4 months. It is also a good idea to introduce each food individually with a few days in between to help identify any reactions or intolerances, read more about food allergy in babies here.
To find out more about starting your baby out on solids safely read our articles here.
This is a recipe to make bulk servings based on a 1 x full jug of our Steamer Blender Baby Food Preparation unit, alter the quantity to suit your serving needs.
This process is detailed using our baby food processor and re-usable food pouches, you can of course alter to your preferred method for steaming/blending and storing (note: make sure you steam rather than boil to retain the nutrients!)
1. Peal the sweet potatos and cut into small cubes (approx. 2cmx2cm)
2. Fill the water chamber with water, make sure you don’t go over the max (pre boiled water is recommended to decrease the need to descale)
3. Pour the cubes into the large basket, it won’t all fit so pour the rest into the smaller basket and place on top, twisting into place.
4. Turn the unit on and click the steaming function, steam for 15 minutes/ until tender (will depend on the size of your chunks/amount)
5. Take the baskets out (carefully – that steam is hot!) and pour the water that has gathered at the bottom into a separate dish (don’t throw it out! It is full of nutrients, we will use it in a minute). Pour the potato chunks into the jug on top of the blade and add the tablespoon of mild curry paste.
6. As we are blending a whole jug, place the grey cover on before the lid (use this whenever you are blending more than the max shown on the jug to prevent food from going into the water chamber).
7. Set to the blending function and begin blending, add the left over water and any extra as needed to achieve your desired consistency (for young babies puree should be smooth).
8. Depending on the consistency, pour or spoon into your reusable food pouches.
9. Safe to freeze for 3-6 months or refrigerate for 48- 72 hours. (Although to freeze for 1-3 months/ refrigerate up to 48 hours is more prudent).
10. Serve straight from your pouch using a food pouch spoon!
- Swap out the curry paste and this can be a recipe for a first food
- Swap out the curry paste for any other herbs or spices
- Add some greek yogurt for 9m+ babies
Check out our other recipes here!
Want to try the products used in the recipe? Find them below:
Checkout our ‘Starting Solids section!
Here you will find all you need to know about starting your baby on solids, food safety and homemade baby food!