Pumpkin and Potato Puree for Baby
This smooth puree is naturally sweetened with pumpkin which your baby will just love to eat. Make it silky smooth when first introducing solids, and leave it a bit lumpier as your baby gets older to get them used to different textures.
Prep time: 10 minutes (shorter if you use pre-cut pumpkin)
cook time: 10 minutes
makes: approximately 4 x150ml Baby Food Pouches or 6 smaller Food Pouch Minis
best for: +6 months, and not before 4 months
2 ½ cups of potatoes washed, peeled and diced into small cubes
1 ½ cups of pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and diced into small cubes
A small pinch of cumin (jeera) powder (optional)
½ cup of water
First wash, peel and cut the potato and pumpkin into small cubes;
Then use the steaming function on your steamer blender. Steam the veggies for approximately 10 minutes or until tender;
Afterwards, take out the basket(s) and remove the water (but keep the cooking water to one side);
Place the soft potato and pumpkin (and optional cumin) into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies);
Afterwards portion the puree into reusable baby food pouches;
Finally, serve the puree with a food pouch spoon and enjoy!
Most importantly, pumpkins are an excellent source of vitamin A (as beta carotene) and fibre. Potatoes are rich in starch and are a good source of potassium and vitamin C. This is a great complex food for babies, and will help if your baby needs to gain weight.
Babies are recommended to start on solids around 6 months and not before 4 months. Make sure your baby is showing signs they are ready for solids and that you introduce one food at a time initially. After that, you are welcome to mix other fruits or veggies with this recipe!
To find out more about starting your baby on solid foods safely read our articles here.
This is a Puree for Baby recipe to make bulk servings based on a 1 x full jug of our baby food maker, alter the quantity to suit your serving needs.
This process is detailed using our baby food processor and re-usable food pouches, you can of course alter to your preferred method for steaming/blending and storing (note: make sure you steam rather than boil to retain the nutrients!)
Step by step process:
1. First wash and peel both the potato and pumpkin;
2. Then make sure you cut them into small cubes (approx. 2cmx2cm)
3. Next fill the water chamber with water, make sure you don’t go over the maximum level (pre boiled water is recommended to decrease the need to descale)
4. Pour the cubes into the large basket, it won’t all fit so pour the rest into the smaller basket and place on top, twisting into place.
5. Use the steaming function on your steamer blender, steam for approximately 10 minutes or until tender;
6. After the veggies are tender, take out the basket(s) and remove the water (keep the cooking water to one side);
7. Place the soft potato and pumpkin (and optional cumin) into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies);
8. Finally portion the homemade puree into reusable baby food pouches;
Check out our other recipes here!
Want to try the products used in the recipe? Find them below:
Checkout our ‘Starting Solids’ section!
Here you will find all you need to know about starting your baby on solids, food safety and homemade baby food!
Finally, we hope you like this Pumpkin and Potato Puree for Baby! If you have doubts related to solids feeding, head to Victoria Government website and learn more!