Pumpkin and Carrot Puree for Baby
This smooth baby puree is naturally sweetened with both pumpkin and carrots. It’s easy to make and full of wholesome veggie goodness which your baby will just love.
2 ½ cups of pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and diced into small cubes
1 ½ cups of carrots, peeled and diced into small cubes
½ cup of water
Wash, peel and cut the carrot and pumpkin into small cubes;
Use the steaming function on your steamer blender, steam for approximately 10-15 minutes or until tender;
Take out the basket(s) and remove the water (keep water to one side);
Place the soft pumpkin and carrots into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies);
Portion into reusable baby food pouches;
Serve with a food pouch spoon!
Both pumpkin and carrots are excellent sources of vitamin A (as beta carotene) and fibre. They are also a great source of potassium which is an essential mineral for your growing child. We don’t recommend that you offer your baby or toddler pumpkin seeds however. Pumpkins are wonderfully low in fat and low in calories.
Babies are recommended to start on solids around 6 months and not before 4 months. Make sure your baby is showing signs they are ready for solids and that you introduce one food at a time initially, after that you are welcome to mix other fruits or veggies with this recipe!
To find out more about starting your baby out on solids safely read our articles here.
This is a Puree for Baby recipe to make bulk servings based on a 1 x full jug of our baby food maker, alter the quantity to suit your serving needs.
This process is detailed using our baby food processor and re-usable food pouches, you can of course alter to your preferred method for steaming/blending and storing (note: make sure you steam rather than boil to retain the nutrients!)
1. Wash, peel and cut the carrot and pumpkin into small cubes;
2. Pour the cubes into the large basket, it won’t all fit so pour the rest into the smaller basket and place on top, twisting into place.
3. Fill the water chamber with water, make sure you don’t go over the max (pre boiled water is recommended to decrease the need to descale)
4. Use the steaming function on your steamer blender, steam for approximately 10-15 minutes or until tender;
5. Take the baskets out and pour the water that has gathered at the bottom into a separate dish (we will use it in a minute). Pour the pumpkin and carrot chunks into the jug on top of the blade. As we are blending a whole jug, place the grey cover on before the lid (use this whenever you are blending more than the max shown on the jug to prevent food from going into the water chamber). Start blending!;
6. Place the soft pumpkin and carrots into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies);
7. Depending on the consistency, pour or spoon into your reusable food pouches.
8. Safe to freeze for up to 6 months or refrigerate for up to 72 hours. (Although it is said to freeze for 1-3 months/ refrigerate up to 48 hours is more prudent).
9. Serve straight from your pouch using a food pouch spoon or spout! .
Check out our other recipes here!
Want to try the products used in the recipe? Find them below:
Checkout our ‘Starting Solids section!
Here you will find all you need to know about starting your baby on solids, food safety and homemade baby food!