Apple puree baby food is a perfect choice for one of baby’s first foods!
Prep time: 6 mins
cook time: 7 mins
makes: Approx. 5 serves (regular reusable baby food pouches) 7 serves (mini reusable food pouches)
best for: 6m+ (not before 4 months)
4 x med-large apples
1/2 x cup of water
Peal and cut apples into small cubes
Use steaming function to steam for 7 minutes/ until tender
Take out the baskets and remove the water (keep to the side)
Pour the apples back into the jug and blend, adding small amounts of water until the desired consistency is met (smooth for younger babies)
Portion into reusable food pouches
Serve with a food pouch spoon!
An apple a day really does keep the doctor away!
Apples are high in fiber and vitamin C as well as polyphenols which function as antioxidants.
Gentle on the tummy, apples can help with constipation and gastric reflux. Fiber is great for healthy bowel movements, aids in reducing the risk of cancer and heart attacks and helps to sustain healthy cholesterol levels. The vitamin C helps boost baby’s immune system, and aids in the absorption of iron and calcium – vital for a growing baby!
Babies are recommended to start on solids around 6 months and not before 4 months. Make sure your baby is showing signs they are ready for solids and that you introduce one food at a time initially, after that you are welcome to mix other fruits or veggies with this recipe!
To find out more about starting your baby out on solids safely read our articles here.
This is a recipe to make bulk servings based on a 1 x full jug of our baby food maker, alter the quantity to suit your serving needs.
This process is detailed using our baby food processor and re-usable food pouches, you can of course alter to your preferred method for steaming/blending and storing (note: make sure you steam rather than boil to retain the nutrients!)
1. Peal the apples (after 8 months peeling is optional)
2. Cut into small cubes (approx. 2cmx2cm)
3. Fill the water chamber with water, make sure you don’t go over the max (pre boiled water is recommended to decrease the need to descale)
4. Pour the cubes into the large basket, it won’t all fit so pour the rest into the smaller basket and place on top, twisting into place.
5. Turn the steamer blender on. Set the steaming function for for 5-7 minutes or until tender (this will depend on the size of your chunks/amount)
6. Take the baskets out and pour the water that has gathered at the bottom into a separate dish (we will use it in a minute). Pour the apple chunks into the jug on top of the blade. As we are blending a whole jug, place the grey cover on before the lid (use this whenever you are blending more than the max shown on the jug to prevent food from going into the water chamber). Start blending!
7. Set to the blending function and begin blending, add the left over water and any extra to achieve your desired consistency (for young babies puree should be smooth).
8. Depending on the constancy, pour or spoon into your reusable food pouches.
9. Safe to freeze for up to 6 months or refrigerate for up to 72 hours. (Although it is said to freeze for 1-3 months/ refrigerate up to 48 hours is more prudent).
10. Serve straight from your pouch using a food pouch spoon! .
Check out our other recipes here!
Want to try the products used in the recipe? Find them below:
Checkout our ‘Starting Solids section!
Here you will find all you need to know about starting your baby on solids, food safety and homemade baby food!